Time.Is.Still.
Time is still.
Within its eternity, creation and movement is constantly happening in a space. The space is the host, the fact is the guest, time is the possibility and the witness.
Everything happens, in every given moment.
Time is shared. Space is not.
While we occupy only one space at time with our own body, we live every moment simultaneously with everyone else. When something is over, time isn't.
I suddenly realize that is only an illusion that makes us feel time is passing by, that there is a past and a future. Time is never changing, we are.
With our mind we cannot grasp the present neither, as the only real presence is the eternity of time itself. This insight suddenly reconciles everything which has been pointed to by various spiritual paths, when they speak about observation and "staying in the present". I think what they meant to say is "stay with the neutral point of time", where YOU don't matter as much as the picture in the back. Access that stillness.
What they didn't mean is "stay with the internal speech of your mind right now" which is useful but only the entryway: a good exercise to recognise we have an automatic, untamed mind (psychological mind, Krishnamurti would call it) until we step out of it and of our identification with it.
Time is the unchangeable background, the scenery through which space itself moves, together with our bodies and stories and things.
Isn't time like the "gold background" R.M.Rilke* pointed to, when considering individuals only apparently separated (in order to realize their "destiny")?
*Notes on the melody of things
I come to this realization while reading this passage from "The Sabbath" book ...these words made it so easy to understand and remember (especially to remember about our illusions!)
![]() |
From the book The Sabbath by A.J. Heschel |
I go further. If we can be alone in space...We cannot be ever alone in time.
If I am crying, I am sharing a cry with everyone in the wolrd crying at this moment. If I smile, I am sharing happiness with anyone else happy at this moment. And also. If I cry, I share someone else's happiness, through time.
My story is another character carved out from a background that stays still, and connect all.
In his book Heschel points out to the necessity of making a moment "holy" by relating with God and by abstention, I realize that every real prayer happens not in the realm of facts or space, but in the field of time, where "being", healing, miracles, are always prepared here/now.
Time. Is. Still.
Secure. The real temple. We can enter, wherever we are.
What a sudden relief.


No comments:
Post a Comment